FIRST PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH HISTORY
Sullivan, Missouri 63080
1892- The first records of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church in Sullivan, Missouri date back to November, 1892, but the first roll of members was received in the area as early as 1854. Meetings were held in several locations around the town of Sullivan.
1897 - In 1897, the first church structure was completed.
1907 - On May 23, 1907 the General Assembly, meeting at Columbus, Ohio, constituted the Synod of Missouri. The Presbytery of St. Louis, meeting on the 18th of June, 1907 agreed to this enactment. It was at this time that Sullivan Cumberland Presbyterian Church became Sullivan Presbyterian Church U.S.A. and was voted in the St. Louis Presbytery, which since has become Giddings-Lovejoy Presbytery.
A Sunday School addition was added to the church structure in 1914 and a Manse was completed in 1923.
1958 - The campaign “Rise Up and Build” was begun.
On April 14, 1960, ground breaking ceremonies were held on the current site.
1961 - The first services were held in the Fellowship Hall of the new building since the sanctuary was not yet built.
1996 - The Session formed a “Vision and Planning Committee.” Their five-year plan included increasing mission involvement, outreach, spirituality, ministry, and building a new sanctuary. By an overwhelming majority, the congregation adopted the plan in early November.
1997 - The congregation elected a Building Committee and the Session appointed a Finance Committee. An architect was hired; the new sanctuary was begun.
October 18, 1998 was a historic day in the life of First Presbyterian Church in Sullivan. On that day, the anticipated new sanctuary, stained glass windows and meditation garden were dedicated.
1999 – 2003 - The Church enjoyed growth which included an active youth group, bell choir and choir.
March 2008– Changes within the church as well as Sullivan contributed to declining membership. To address this, we decided to yoke with Peace Lutheran Church in Sullivan. This faithful venture resulted in First being unique by having three different Lutheran Pastors. The yoke ended in 2012.
2013 to Present –Support for mission projects has continued as well as providing a meeting place for AA, Al Anon, NA and many other organizations. We also have a very active prayer shawl and lap blanket ministry which involves ladies from the community as well as our own members.